Key industry leaders and champions were honored at the American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) 50th Annual Convocation and Exposition last week in Philadelphia.
Theresa Sanderson, CNHA, and author Barbara Acello received the ACHCA Chair’s Award, while Marnie Talamona, Senior Executive Director of Genesis HealthCare’s Glen Hill Center, was honored with the Distinguished Nursing Home Administrator Award.
ACHCA’s Champion Award went to Ethica Health and Retirement Communities, a not-for-profit provider with multiple sites in Georgia.
Harmony Healthcare International, Topsfield, Mass., received the Business Partner Award. “ACHCA contributes so much to our industry by advocating for, developing and mentoring the post-acute and gaining service leaders of today and tomorrow,” said Kris Mastrangelo.
Long-Term Living’s resident blogger, Kathleen Mears, was awarded ACHCA’s journalism award. Mears, a 20-year nursing home resident, writes weekly about resident rights, working with aides, facility life and other topics. “Probably the most effective way to affect change is to tell someone's story,” she says. “I want my stories to allow others to understand what goes on in long-term care. Then, understanding in itself will help to promote worthwhile change.”
Here’s the list of ACHCA awards:
- Chair's Award - Barbara Acello
- Chair's Award - Theresa Sanderson, CNHA, FACHCA
- Distinguished Service Award - Susan Farris, FACHCA
- ACHCA Outstanding Member Award - Israel Ray, CNHA, FACHCA
- Distinguished Nursing Home Administrator Award - Marnie Talamona, FACHCA
- New Nursing Home Administrator Award- Kathryn 'Katie' Lasewicz
- AIT Preceptor Award - Kathy Pajor, FACHCA
- Public Service Award - Dan Cohen
- Education Award - Melanie Eaton, FACHCA
- Journalism Award - Kathleen Mears
- ACHCA Champion Award - Ethica Health and Retirement Communities
- Business Partner Award - Harmony Healthcare International